Tuesday, June 14, 2011


Hello girls!

So today is my first day back since having my wisdom teeth surgery last Tuesday.  Oh....it's been an interesting week....

Tuesday morning when I got into the exam chair and was being hooked upto a monitor, I really started to get nervous...To put me to sleep for the surgery they needed to hook an IV into my arm. I've never had an IV before or even had blood drawn.  I was so nervous, although I was trying to stay calm, my left leg started trembling, and I couldn't get it to stop!  Embarrassing! So they decided it would be best to give me laughing gas before putting an IV in.  I've never had laughing gas before either, but it seemed to calm me down a bit.  They couldn't find a good vein on the one arm, but thankfully they found a good one on the other arm, and pricked me.  I wasn't told to count down or anything, just within a couple of minutes I guess I was out.  

photo credit
I woke up in the recovery room with my husband stroking my hair back, caressing my face, and talking to me as well.  The nurse had told him to talk to me until I woke up.  I felt very weird.  I tried to talk, but only sounds and mumbles really came out, nothing that coherent. lol  It was exhausting sitting up, and the nurse had to change my guaze that had already been put in my mouth and I had an ice pack wrapped entirely around my head.  If that wasn't goofy looking enough, my cheeks, chin, mouth, pretty much my whole face was puffed up and swollen.  Not one of my prettiest moments!  

I had to have the nurse on one side and my husband on the other to help me up and out of the dentist office, I couldn't voice my thanks to the nurse, so I patted her on the back and kind of nodded! : P

photo credit I didn't look this fashionable leaving the dentist!  Not with a full head wrap ice pack!

We left to go fill my prescription and get me a milkshake to take the vicodin immediately.  Remember no straws allowed so I tried to spoon my shake into my mouth, but I was still so numb and couldn't really judge where to spoon........so lets just say I missed a few times and had my jamoucha shake drizzling down my puffy lips and chin!  Attractive, right?! I started drinking the shake without the spoon (and still no straw) and finally got the hang of it a bit! 

I thought once I got home I would sleep a lot, but I wasn't actually tired, so my husband helped me get settled up on the couch and set up The OC, took my shoes off for me, helped me get into some pjs, and covered me with a blanket.  And that's how I spent most of Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday as well! Well, besides when I went to bed. I've never been so idle before!  

photo credit

The numbness pretty much wore off around 6 or 7 that night, besides being really swollen, I wasn't really in pain on Tuesday, and I thought, oh this isn't so bad at all, I feel much better then I thought I would......BUT then just after midnight that night of the surgery, the pain set in, and boy was it excruciating! I have never in my life, felt pain from my mouth like that!!!!  It was sooooo bad, worse then I thought.  I could open my mouth a decent amount but everything ached, my jaw, the empty spaces, and all the teeth in between. This throbbing pain lasted most of the week, only on Sunday has it really become bearable!

photo credit

I have a sweet tooth, so I thought the liquid diet of milkshakes and puddings and such, wouldn't be so bad, but by the end of day two I was so in the mood for something salty, crunchy, cheesy, something hearty!  But that sadly wasn't going to happen!  

It's been a rough week, thankfully, when my husband wasn't at work, he was by my side, continuously checking to see if I needed anything, to eat, to drink, anything to make me feel better.  Tim's never had to play the nurse before, especially for such a lengthy period, and since guys aren't typically that nurturing, I wasn't sure how well he would do playing nurse, but he well succeeded my expectations!  He has done so much for me this last week, and been so thoughtful and caring, and seemed to know exactly what I needed at exactly the right time!  :)

It's been a week ago, today, that I had my wisdom teeth removed.  I thought by now, I would be enjoying a burger, or nachos, but sadly no.  The last day or so, I have got to eat something besides applesauce and pudding though, so that's a good thing!  I've attempted a bean and cheese burrito with about half of the soft shell torn off, and some french fries, both in tiny pieces.  I can only really bite down with my front teeth, and then I don't really chew all that much, really just biting down and swallowing the small pieces, but I'll take what I can get.  Tonight, my husband and I are going out to dinner to a fancy restaurant with my mother-in-law, to celebrate her birthday, it's going to be hard seeing others enjoy steak!  I have no idea what I'm going to attempt to eat, but hopefully I can find something soft and delicious!

Anyway, thank you girls for listening to how my last week has gone, and for checking up on me through tweets and such!  I appreciate all your kind words and get well wishes!  I hope to be feeling normal again  soon...  

Hopefully your last week and this week is going better then mine! :)


Sherin said...

Awww, poor you. I feel so bad to hear that you were in that much fun. I'm sending virtual hugs your way. At least you have a great husband to take care of you.

Hope you fully recover soon!

Jenmarie said...

I'm sorry you were in so much pain! When that happened to me I had to switch from vicodin (just wasn't doing it's thing anymore) to a high dosage of ibuprofen and it totally helped. You can always call your local pharmacy to talk to a doctor there to see which medicines you can combine and how much of it you can take too. ;)

Anyways, I'n glad you're doing better! Take it slowly with the solid foods!

Louisa said...

Dear Tasha,
I am sorry to hear that you have had so much pain! But your husband sounds SO sweet!! Well at least you have it all over with now and never to go through it again..
I hope they have something nice and eatable at the menu tonight!

Leia said...

Thanks for telling us all about the experience! I hope you heal up to 100% soooon!



Blog Widget by LinkWithin